Friday, January 2, 2015

Ritual Purity in Roman Religion

So today's post is about ritual purity in Roman religion. And we can talk about both ancient and modern forms of Roman religion and it will all be connected to each other. I asked this question on Facebook about this and someone told me, well a couple of people told me, that you can't be unclean, as a woman, and be able to do your rituals. Now I encountered this when I was in Kemeticism and it was the same thing. You can't do your rituals if your bleeding.

Now this might seem to be a putting down of women, telling them that they can't commune with the gods because their bleeding. But this isn't true. We all feel unclean when we're bleeding, if we're women, and no amount of modern chemicals will take away from the fact that you are unclean. So this is a case when ritual purity becomes a major part of your religion and spiritual practices. Purifying yourself after you bleed should be the most important thing.

It tells the gods that your now clean and can partake in your duties as a member of your faith. This 'separation' from rituals was done back in ancient times and it's done today. Now there will be those that will say that the gods don't mind if your bleeding, we don't live in the past. I agree that we don't, but I think that it's up to the woman to decide if she's going to do things the way that Roman women did or do things the way that new pagans do. I personally do it the way that Roman women did.

It gives the whole spiritual practice that 'feeling' that you can't get when you do things the way that you want to. It also allows me time to pray to the gods, without feeling as though it's the same old same old thing. Just spending time with the gods is a ritual, a ritual that doesn't require anything other than yourself. Today I'm buying some stuff to cleanse my body so that I can return to ritual practice. It's going to be very interesting.

I'll see you next time and thanks for reading.

HAIL TO THE GODS OF ROME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment